-
November 7th, 2006, 11:36 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Hi Ladies!
I agree, it would be great to have a character that has a sibling or someone close to them that has some form of Autism. My DD is considered high functioning Autistic, and would love to see a book that deals with this. From what I can tell too, quite a few parents who have kids in DD's class, would like to see somthing very mainstreamed, and very well done along these lines as well. Obviously, American Girl would be the company who could pulll this off very well. I can't tell you the number of parents who have told me I should write a book and submit it to American Girl. I actually think someone on the spectrum would do a much better job of it! [img]cool.gif[/img] It doesn't even have to be huge part of the book, just something to touch on it would be very cool. It seems like the new doll Nicky is going to be a very intreging character, working with seeing eye dogs, so that is a step in the right direction. The thing is with Autism though, people find it very mysterious, and in some cases frightening/scary because of some behaviors that are completely misunderstood. Because there are so many more kids on the spectrum now that are mainstramed in school and life in general, I think it would be awesome for AG to do something with it. The sad thing is, at least in DD's case, the kids have always been great with her. It's the adult's that need to understand.....
Shelly
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks